John Petrony is the owner of the Law Offices of John F. Petrony, LLC, in Poland, Ohio. He was born and raised in Boardman, Ohio. In 1990, he graduated summa cum laude from Youngstown State University with a Bachelor of Arts degree. John subsequently obtained his juris doctorate in 1993 from The Ohio State University College of Law.
He returned to the Mahoning Valley in 1993 and has resided there ever since. John practiced with two of the larger law firms in Youngstown between 1993 and 2005. From 1993 to 1997, he practiced at Harrington, Huxley, Smith, Mitchell & Reed (now known as Harrington, Hoppe & Mitchell, Ltd.). Between 1997 and 2005, he practiced with Nadler, Nadler & Burdman (now Brouse McDowell).
In 2005, John established his own practice, which focuses exclusively on business law and real estate law.
He resides in Poland with his wife, Mari, and their two boys, Luke and Matthew. When not at work, John enjoys golfing and spending time with his family.
Select Seminars & Publications
- Handling the Sale of a Business, National Business Institute seminar, December 2015
- Business Law Update: LLC/Corporate Law Changes and Affordable Care Act (Obamacare), Mahoning County Bar Association seminar, August 2013
- LLCs vs. Corporations in Ohio, Ohio Lawyer article, July/August 2004.
Practice Area Memberships
- Ohio State Bar Association Corporate Law Committee. This committee is responsible, amongst other things, for drafting and amending Ohio’s LLC and corporate statutes.
- Ohio State Bar Association Real Property Law Section Council. Among its duties, the council drafts and reviews Ohio’s real property legislation. Council members are appointed for three (3) year terms. They are drawn from the membership of the Real Property Law Section.
- Mergers & Acquisitions Committee of the American Bar Association. This committee, as part of its activities, drafts model agreements for use in negotiating and documenting business acquisitions, mergers and reorganizations.
- American Bar Association Committee on LLC’s, Partnerships and Unincorporated Entities. This group participates in drafting model limited liability company and partnership legislation for use by the states.
- The Real Property Trust and Estate Law Section of the American Bar Association. The real estate division of this section addresses all legal aspects of property use, ownership, development, transfer, regulation, financing, taxation and disposal, including, but not limited to, the drafting of model real property legislation for use by the states.
- Ray “Boom Boom” Mancini Foundation. Current board member.
- Lake Park Cemetery. Current board member.
- Boys and Girls Club of Youngstown. Past board member.
- Downtown Youngstown Revitalization Committee. Past member.